Model HomeFor the purpose of demonstrating a truly energy efficient home, Southwest Arkansas Electric, in partnership with Doug Rye, built an all electric, energy-efficient home located in Texarkana. This home was constructed for educational purposes using the building techniques recommended by nationally known energy expert Doug Rye, who will also provide a guarantee that the average monthly heating and cooling cost will not exceed a predetermined level.
The home was built by Donald Jeans, a local builder in the Texarkana area. The home is conditioned using an energy efficient geothermal heating and cooling system installed by Custom Air in Texarkana. The geothermal system is a 5-ton, dual capacity, Premier E, Water Furance system. Low speed operation allows the unit to run in a 3-ton mode the majority of the time. The unit is designed to operate a de-superheater providing free hot water for most of the hot water needs. For added customized comfort the system utilizes the Premier IntelliZone system. The IntelliZone system uses zone thermostats to customize your comfort in three separate areas. A thermostat placed in these three selected areas allows custom temperature control for total comfort.
Energy saving features
- Insulated slab and hot water lines
- Energy efficient framing on all corners and T's
- Cellulose insulation in walls and attic
- Caulking & sealant throughout to prevent air infiltration
- All metal duct work with mastic joints
- Vinyl double pane windows with low-E glass and argon gas.
- ICAT rated recessed lights
- Super energy efficient Marathon water heater
- Geothermal heat pump system
- Insulated garage doors & exterior doors
- "TechShield" roof decking
The model home is sponsored by Southwest Arkansas Electric Cooperative in partnership with Doug Rye & Associates.